Admission of students with special needs is subject to all policies and procedures which apply to other admissions and to the additional policies and procedures outlined here.
- A completed student registration form/application for Admission of a Student with Special Needs should be received at the school office by March 1 for a student to be considered for admission in the following year. Mid year transfers will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
- Copies of all relevant assessment reports and any special needs funding history must be received by the school office by March 15. These reports must be current; in the event that further testing is required by PCS, arrangements and financing of the testing shall be the responsibility of parents.
- A meeting with the parents will follow the receipt of the application form. The Special education Coordinator will conduct the meeting. The principal and a prospective classroom teacher may attend. The goal of the meeting is to determine the types and levels of service, the equipment and the facilities, and the availability of community support services which would be necessary to support the student’s learning in PCS.
- In the period of time following the special education admissions meeting, the special education coordinator will observe the student in his/her current setting, determine whether all necessary support services will be obtainable, and assess the school’s ability to serve the student.
- Following admissions and special education meetings, recommendations will be made to the administration and subsequently forwarded to the board for approval.
- The parents will be notified of acceptance by the end of May. Acceptance will be based on the availability of all the necessary support services, appropriate level of funding and the school’s confidence that it can serve the student adequately.
We’ve hosted a bit of an open house in the past. Many community organizations joined us to help support you.